Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

Dusting off my sewing skills

My dd was complaining how the boys especially Zack like to throw things in her house and of course something inevitably gets broken. So I decided to make some soft plush balls just for tossing around the house.

A quick visit to Joann's resulted in some fabric. I wasn't happy that most of the pre-cut squares were not that boyish let alone childlike so I opted for what they did have that wasn't pink or purple. I love that you can just buy remnants rather than stand in line and cut a bunch of 1/4 yd pieces of material. These square were just $1.99 ea. 


I cut out 8 sides from a pattern that I downloaded from the internet and stitched them together, coordinating the colors.


Here you can see the last of the sides that needed to be sewn. I left a small opening to stuff some batting in and then hand sewed it close.


Next I wanted to make some circles for the ends so I used my Nestabilities for a template. I choose two sizes larger than what I wanted to end up with and traced it in pencil. Then I snipped the edge up to the line a few times to make tucking the ends under easy.



I also found that if I left the Nestability in place and ironed the fabric around it, it left me with a nice neat circle.

And lastly here is the end result.

5 comments:

  1. These are fabulous, Leslie! I love them. Awesome sewing work. You are so talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! You are certainly a jill of all trades, love seeing the variety of projects you create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun plashes! I love the design and colors you used. Wonderful job :)

    ReplyDelete