Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

Home Decor Projects

Technically this post is about one Home Decor item (the door swag) and one trial run on a Christmas Project (the cacti terrarium).

So I decided to venture south a bit (just a short 30 min drive) to explore Hobby Lobby and OMG! why did I not know about this place sooner? I was in sensory overload and it was all I could do to keep from buying the store out. I am not sure how, but I refrained from only buying things for some crafty projects that I had in mind but I did and best part is I know I can go back.

First up is this door swag that I made for myself (yea for me!) I had a previous wreath that my mother made me that was a good 13 or so years old and I figured it was time for an updo on it. This was really very simple I just gathered a bunch of fall foliage that was reduced in price since we are past Halloween and all the retailers are focused on Christmas so they put all the fall stuff on sale. I then tied them together with some wire, slapped on a burlap bow and voila..instant door modification.



This next project I also made for me but was really a trial run for two more Terrariums, one small like the one below and one much larger. My mother loves cacti and I saw some terrariums on pintrest and thought, yup excellent idea for Christmas.

This is a 6 in fish bowl that I bought at Hobby Lobby quite cheap (it was on sale) but you can also find them at Michaels and with a 40% off coupon, they are quite affordable. Then I hit up a local nursery for some cacti and since the small terrariums just need little pieces of cacti I was able to cut them from larger cacti which I will then use in the larger terrarium (10"). I believe all in all I bought 4 plants for ~$10 but will make as I said at least 3 terrariums from them. I filled the bottom with some cacti soil, plated the little cacti bits and then topped with decorative rock..any rock will do I just liked the look of white. Best part about cacti is they dont' require much maintenance so you don't have that whole misting terrarium of the 70s. (Don't forget to give them a quick sprinkling of some water once your finished..then they only require a bit of water once a week) I think my mom is going to love these.  


5 comments:

  1. Great projects, I could see our home with a terrarium! Pinning it so I don't forget! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...the door decor is stunning! Perfect piece for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful door decor! I love Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete